Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bear one another's burdens...

Galatians 6:2
"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

We had a great discussion last night at Bible Study about this verse. I've been so thankful for the women who have come every week for the last 4 months or so...I've learned so much from them. It's just been good to have a group of women together who are in all different walks of life, and who desire to grow in their walk with God. It's been a sweet time. Next week is our last week, and I'm gonna miss it!

Tim Keller talked about bearing burdens like this: "To help with a burden, one must come very close to the burdened person, standing virtually in their shoes, and putting one's own strength under the burden so its weight is distributed on both of you, lightening the load of the other. So in the same way, a Christian must listen and understand, and physically, emotionally, spiritually, take up some of the burden with the other person."

So, I've been thinking about people in my life who help me bear my burdens. It's fun to think about it--and inspiring at the same time. For example, yesterday afternoon I'd missed my nap (I think I'm missing it again today...) and I was laying on the couch thinking, "I'm not going to make it two more weeks." Both of the boys were running circles around me, and I had just hit a wall. The phone rang and it was my neighbor (a SAINT) asking if I wanted some of their "extra dinner" from the crock pot. She didn't even know how badly I needed someone to take care of me. She was just thinking FOR me. I have a lot of friends in my life who are good at that--they think for others and anticipate needs. Another dear friend called me a few weeks ago before a huge garage sale. She told me to bring the boys over in their pjs so she could feed them breakfast while I shopped. She just anticipated what I needed--I don't even think I knew I needed that.

More burdens lifted...
The countless hours dear, dear women give to my family in free babysitting so my husband and I can connect on a weekly basis. We've come to realize how desperately we need our date night--and our kids LOVE when these ladies come to play. (I think they like it, too.)

Friends coming over to help paint the boys' new room, and then taking over when I could do no more...another burden lifted.

Someone coming over weekly to help get coffee ready for Bible study so I can put the boys to bed uninterrupted.

Someone asking me how I'm doing--and really wanting to know the answer.

A friend calling me and telling me I'm missed.

Someone praying for me.

I want to be more intentional in my relationships. I want to actively think FOR people--how can I help lift their burdens? How can I better love others? How can I teach my children to think for others as well? I know a lot of it is responding to the Holy Spirit prompting your heart, but as we said last night, there is action required. I can't just sit around and wait and hope that I'll "feel the urge" to serve. I need to be proactive and seek out opportunities.

So...those are my thoughts today. Just thought I'd share.


These are my sweet friends, Sam and Christina, who came to paint the boys' new room...they are awesome.


Daniel's old nursery...baby blue, anyone? I'll post the boys' new room soon...(and the new nursery!)



Galatians 6:2
"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

7 comments:

Sarah R. said...

Inspiring thoughts Erika, and ones I struggle with often as well.
What an amazing God we have - who gives us people to help when we need it and then gives us strength to help others when they need it.
I am praying for you in these final weeks -and I totally relate to missing a nap. If I miss my nap I am wiped the rest of the day!
Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I miss you friend...

I wish I was closer to you so I could physically bear some of your burdens too! But you know you are on my heart often...

Love ya!
Stacy

Kelly said...

Wow...thanks for that! I needed to hear that too. Being intentional to look outwardly and not focus on yourself... I agree that God is amazing. And trust me, he does use people to help us (see, he used you to write that when I needed it) :)
Love you girl and praying for you and my new little niece- for strength, safety, and a good transition! Let me know if I can do anything long distance!

kcknoles said...

Erika, I have so missed being a part of your study! :( What sweet lessons to learn! I hope and pray that you are doing well and feeling well the last few weeks of your pregnancy. Let me know if you need anything! Can't wait to see the nursery! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for this post, Erika. I needed to hear this again! It seems that even when we stop to consider how others have helped in bearing our burdens, life becomes more bearable.

Anonymous said...

There is no way on earth you remember me, but we met at V7--you had just gotten there, and Sean and I were on our way out. Anyway, I stumbled upon your blog through another blog...so it goes. Thanks for this post. I can really relate, and I'm also jealous of all that burden-lifting you've got there! I'll be checking back in to see that new baby.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...thought I left my url. Maybe this time.