Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Traveler


See the dog on the left? That is T and S's sweetie, Traveler. He is like their child. Really. I know he will be demoted very soon when little Skeeter makes his debut, but for now he is their child. And I almost killed him today.


Right now T and S are in SC living it up with the fam and Traveler is livin it up here with Dixie Lucinda. They are great buds and he likes to stay with us, except that we don't take him out to play everyday. Poor boy. He hangs out in the backyard with DL and mopes while T and S are gone. And, since all of my maternal instincts are being directed at two little munchkins, I don't have much sympathy for him.


Last night, he got himself into some mischef. We have this ant problem and they have been finding their way into our garage and into DL's food dish. So, I've had an ant trap on the ground in the garage for about 3 weeks to try to get rid of the little beasts. Nobody has noticed it for three weeks. Not a dog has even sniffed it. Until last night when Traveler decided he wanted to know what was inside. I opened the garage door to find him looking very guilty and the ant trap cracked open. I could see all the poisionous gunk inside, so I didn't think he'd eaten anything. I put it in the trash, fussed at him, and brought him inside to watch him. He was fine all night. I even called our friend, Dr. Todd the vet to see if I should do anything...


WELL. This morning I put Traveler outside and G Money and I go out to play in the dirt. (I have these plants I bought on sale and I'm dying to put them in the ground so they will LIVE.) The next thing I know, Traveler is puking all over the yard. (well, only in 2 places, but i just hate dog puke. it makes me puke.) So, I go to check out the garbage and sure enough, the dog has plucked out the ant trap (and only the ant trap) and eaten all the arsenic gunk!!!!! He even put the trap back in the trash when he was finished.


So, I put the two babies in the car and head across town to the vets where they are keeping him to watch him. He is going to make it. Poison control says they have to ingest about 75 mg of arsenic to die and he got less that 1 mg. So, they are running some fluids through his body to flush it out of him. I can't believe I almost killed my sister's first child. Sorry, Toot.


Traveler is going to stay at a friends house until Friday. I could take it personally, but I'm not going to. Let's face it...I have 2 babies and a dog of our own who is relatively low maintence (excpet at 6 am) and I can't give the poor dog what he needs. He will be MUCH happier at the friends', and I promise we'll take you to the park on Saturday, Traveler.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh my goodness, erika!! Poor thing and I am talking about you not the dog! You must have been frantic. I lost a dog that I was dog sitting. He was gone for over three months before the owners drove past him and the new owner one day. I FELT TERRIBLE!!! I still dream about seeing the leash hanging over the side of the 2nd story deck.

Kelly said...

Erika, I am laughing out loud! Was it your decision or Shin's to take T to a friend's? But I understand! I know why I don't have a dog now, cause I spend too much time calling poison control for my kids! :)

Marijke said...

Remember Ollie, Erika and the time he didn't get to go out for 72 hours straight - and didn't do anything in the house during that time, either? Mix up with the 'sitters'. I felt terrible and was so relieved that he didn't die after that. It may have been the beginning of the end, though, come to think of it! His bladder wasn't so amazing bladder after that...

erika said...

i'm so glad ya'll can relate...and that i'm not the only one who has had an awful experience like this. T is back at our house now, and I think he was glad to see Dixie. She was glad to see him, for sure. All the traps are put far, far away from him. BUT, it is totally raining today so I haven't been able to take him to the park yet. I'm waiting his next move...