Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kindergarten




My boy started Kindergarten this week. I thought I would be fine. I really did. He went to this school last year for pre-k and loved it. I loved it. This was going to be "no big deal" and I would be fine.

I was not fine.

They were the kind of tears that came up really quickly without warning...the ones I wanted to stop, but couldn't. And so I let them run down my face as I walked back to the car with my other two in tow. They are coming back now as I think about it...

One more experienced mom said to me, "The days are long, but the years are short, aren't they?"

ARGH! I really tried to savor every moment of having him home. WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?! I'm really excited about school and this new phase of life. I LOVE THE SCHOOL he gets to be at. Everything is great--except I'm just mourning the passing of a phase. I guess it's just the beginning, huh?

When I went back to pick him up after the first day, his first words to me were, "I loved it, Mom. I had so much fun."
That does make it easier.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

BKicklighter said...

I feel your pain.

Melissa S. said...

Oh, dear friend...It does my heart good to know I am not alone in my mourning these years passing all too quickly.
And I love that quote from the other mother...so true.

stephanie said...

Let's get together soon. I could come down with Libby one day. Patton is in full day for at least this month (then we reevaluate - the only thing that has helped me not ball my eyes out this past week!)

Samantha said...

Great "shots" and "thoughts" my friend....tears in my eyes too.

Cindy said...

OH, Erica! I had just those feelings with Corrie and Heather and Mark at ECA. I am so grateful for ECA. It is the best. It is the part I really miss in all of our moving adventures. Karen Stephens is the best. We got our Masters together and got to be really close.

Bethany said...

I can't believe he's in kindergarten! It's fun to see how great your kids are doing, and I'm sad with you for the transition of moving into a new stage. Hope this year is full of savored school moments. Miss you!