Friday, April 18, 2008

Momma Called the Doctor, And the Doctor Said

This is a very sick boy.
See the flushed cheeks and the paleness around the mouth?
Combine that with a sore throat, high fever, and a RASH all over his trunk and you've got:

SCARLET FEVER is a disease caused by an exotoxin released by Streptococcus pyogenes. Group A occurs rarely with impetigo or other streptococcal infections. It is characterized by sore throat, fever, a 'strawberry tongue', and a fine sandpaper rash over the upper body that may spread to cover almost the entire body. Scarlet fever is not rheumatic fever, but may progress into that condition. The rate of development of rheumatic fever in individuals with untreated streptococcal infection is estimated to be 3%. The rate of development is far lower in individuals who have received antibiotic treatment. (From Wikipedia)

So, basically it is just a strand of strep throat. BUT...you would not believe the fear that seized my heart when I heard my sweet pediatrician say in her oh-so-calm, soothing voice, "This looks like a classic case of SCARLET FEVER." I suddenly had flashes before my eyes from childhood books...you remember the ones, don't you? I had visions of all of us contracting this dreaded disease. (We still may...)

Thank you, Wikipedia for this walk down memory lane:

But, I don't want to bore you. :) Here are some things my boy said today:
9:30 AM: "Mommy, maybe we should pray and ask God to make me feel better."
I was convicted immediately. Why hadn't I already done this aloud with him?? So, we prayed and then we went outside to play. (Where the above picture was taken.)

After the drama of the afternoon when his fever spiked and he couldn't stop crying/screaming in pain, and then finally getting him into the doctor at 4:00, he says, "Mommy, I think I want to go to the doctor every day to make me feel better." It's amazing what an extra dose of Tylenol will do. He's convinced that just walking into that office healed him.

Coincidently (?!) we read the story about Jesus raising Jarius' daughter from the dead and his healing of the "very sick woman" (who had been bleeding for 12 years) tonight. It was a great time to talk about His power to heal. Isn't it cool how God did that? G-Money was listening so intently, and I think I cried through the whole story. I could relate so much more to Jarius after today.

Bryan was home for the most critical 3 hours of the day before he had to leave again for the Session retreat. What a blessing that I could go to the doctor with only the one, sick child and not all three of them.

My dear doctor wrote a prescription for all three children. This is highly contagious, so we may all get it. :) Fun, fun. I'm praying against that. Aloud. With my children. :)

6 comments:

BKicklighter said...

If our Dr. had said Scarlet Fever, my mind would have gone STRAIGHT to where yours did!! OH MY WORD!! I think you are such the GREAT mom - you sound so calm, etc. I'll pray, aloud with my children, today that your family is spared contracting Gmoney's disease.

Evelyn & Floyd said...

oh G-money. Uncle Will, Aunt Danielle, & Baby Red will be praying too for you to be healed soon, and praying too that Naniel, Missy Prissy, Boonie & Bry don't contract your virus!

Boon - i am sooooo sorry... and glad God is sustaining you.

Tootie said...

And my major complaint of yesterday was having to take care of 2 healthy babies. I love you & am so thankful that you are my sister!! I will pray for your health, & also give thanks for such a blessing to have your family.

Amy Ross said...

Oh, I will pray for you!! Two of my three had that about a year ago!! I hope the worst is over and he is on the mend soon...and no one else gets it!!

Tootie said...

I'm so relieved that yellow bear doesn't have to be burned.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know my darlings that your old aunt here from the old country has been thinking and praying for you all too as I have heard this and about Bryans thyroid surgery. Bryan will you be on thyroid meds now . dont know if you know but I have a thyroid disease diagnosed in 92 which I have meds for the rest of my life. So I can share with you first hand about how to live with it. You will feel so much better soon.,I am so glad its not as bad as it could have been. Please know that I am thinking of you. E mail me erika!! rl.b@btinternet.com. Yeah I loved that story too about Jesus healing the woman who had been bleeding for 12 years!! Lots of love to you all Ruthx Miss you