Friday, February 08, 2008

NINE Chicken Pot Pies! (??) Wait a second...


Shin came over last week for some marathon cooking. On Wednesday we went to SAMS and bought 10 rotisserie chickens. That's right. TEN. After lunch, we pulled all the meat off the bones (while babies were sleeping.) It took us about an hour and a half. Not too bad.

We took 24 cups of that chicken and froze it in bags (4 cups per bag.) Each of us now has 3 bags of frozen, cooked chicken ready for soup or chicken salad or casseroles or whatever.

With the remainder of the chicken (I have no idea how much it was...) we made chicken pot pies! I got this great book last fall called, Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer! and I've LOVED it. I use the cookbook all the time--the recipes are so good and everything has been tested over and over for freezing. So, the idea is you cook one day a week and whatever it is you are making, you should at least double it so you can freeze an additional meal for later. Now, for those of you who knew me in my previous life (before children), you probably remember I did that Once A Month cooking thing. Not anymore. This is way more efficient for my lifestyle.

So, we followed the Chicken Pot Pie recipe to a tee. We actually made it X9 so that I would have 4 pies, she would have 4 pies and we'd have one to give away. We knew something was terribly wrong when we had to bust out the COOLER to hold the chicken pot pie filling--we had so much I didn't have a pot big enough!! When we looked more carefully at the recipe, we noticed a key phrase...

"Each recipe makes enough for two pies."

HA. We just started laughing and bagging our 18 chicken pot pies. I guess we won't need to make this recipe any time soon. :)

Pie, anyone??
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sarah R. said...

what a great idea. although i wouldn't have room in my freezer for 9 pies. hee hee
but i like the idea of doing a marathon cooking session with a friend.
i don't really like cooking so doing it with someone would make it much more enjoyable.
that cookbook also looks good. i try to stick to that concept anyway, but my recepies don't always hold up to being frozen for long.
thanks for the ideas!

Bethany said...

That is so funny, Erika. I hope Bryan likes chicken pot pie!!! I just might have to get that cookbook...... and an extra freezer.